Friday, October 2, 2009

Broken...

hearts, vans, & one leg in two places...not  mine, our Deaconess who is also our fearless leader, broke her leg while going through the Kibera slums on a home visit :(  Sometimes the unexpected happens whether you are in Kenya or at home.  So our team's hearts are breaking in a new way for Linda & Sue who will travel back sooner than expected.  Linda will need to have surgery & the decision was made to put on a cast & go home to follow through with the care.  They hope to leave tomorrow evening on the 10 pm flight  which is the only flight out.

The rest of the team is well & worked hard to unpack a cargo container that had been sent full of donations that needed to be sorted.  It's amazing to think that even with these donations, once distributed the need will still not be quenched.  Rockie worked on finishing the tile in one of the classrooms & it now looks fabulous!

We were able to place desks in two of the classrooms where there were only benches with a narrow table top.  The teachers all received a proper desk and a file cabinet for storage.  I was able to meet with two of the teachers today during the school holiday.  I will be going to work in the classrooms on Monday as well.

The van broke down twice yesterday on the way home; both times our driver took out a tool box & got to work.  The last time we were close to home so some hopped into Pastor Meeker's car to go home, while the rest of the team got a taxi to go home.  The driver stayed behind with the van & called for help to fix the problem.  The van is fine & so are we,  just a bit bummed to lose more team members.

3 comments:

  1. The following are comments (as written) from the 2nd graders at St. John Lutheran School (who all, except one, had Mrs. Nelson LAST year in Firstgradeland:

    Dear Mrs. Nelson,

    - I mist you from the last time I saw you was a long time ago I hope you have a good time on your trip. – Madison
    - I miss you from Firstgradeland. How did goat meat tast? Are you having fun? Love MadelynV
    - Jumbo! How are you doing? How was the goat meat? Love, Evan F.
    - Hi! Hope your having a fun time. We miss you a lot. And how was the goat meat? Love, Natalie
    - I really miss you I hope you are having fun!!! How did the goat meet taste se yo when your back love Paul D
    - How are you doing? We really miss you. Keept up the good work. How did the goat tast. Love Emily
    - Are you having a gate time? I miss you a lot. Was it Bad. Love Anna w.
    - I hope you are having a good time in Africa. Ceep up the good work. Loveben.
    - I love you I hope you are having a good time. Joslynn L.
    - I hope you are having fun! I liked the video. Love grace E.
    - I miss you a lot even thou I’m not in frist grade anymore. Keep up the good work in Africa. I do not want to taste goat meat. Can you bring some back for Mr. Shaffer? Love Emma
    - Hope your having a great ime in Africa. What kind of games do you play in Kenya? Love Joshua
    - I hope you have a good time in Kenya. Keep up the good work. loveAidan.
    - I think it is really cool that you are in Africa. I can’t wait until you come back and tell us about Africa. You are a good teacher. Love Garett
    - We saw the video you sent.I really like the video love AnnaM
    - Kep up the werk We mis you?Love Sarah
    - How are you. We all miss you. We saw the videos. How was the goat meet? Paul M
    - Hi how is it there. I’m doing good I saw the slide show you sent it was good. From Dylan

    And for for Mrs. Stadnika and Mrs. Nelson

    - I MISE YOU MOMMY.MIS NELSEN I MISE TO. I CNT WATE TIL YOUGITE HOME. ANNA


    We all continue to pay for you and the team. Hope Linda is OK and can make the trip home in (relative) comfort and the team can continue to do the good work it is.
    - Mr. N ;{)}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ai, yi, yi! And they say breaking up is hard to do! :-) (Sorry!) Breaking a leg is painful. Breaking a leg (in two places) in Kibera slums is both painful and scary. I've prayed for the safe and sound return of the Dcs (on what must seem a long way home) and for God's angels to care for the rest of the team through the days remaining. See you soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to see the blessing in all this when you're right in the thick of it. BUT think of the amazing witness Linda will be to all the doctors and nurses she tells her story to at the hospital!! Praying for safe return and safety for all you other "crazies" still in Africa :)

    ReplyDelete