Monday, October 5, 2009

This One's for Kirk...Y'all can read it too

Went to  Kawangware slum today to feed the school children at Veronica's Grace House of Love School...387 children...250 plates...you do the math!  Each class has exactly 2, yes TWO, plastic cups for water shared by 50-60 kids in each class.  

The meal we sponsored & served consisted of Mchuzi stew ;), rice & shredded cooked cabbage; however each child recieved two small bits of meat, a few chunks of potato with mostly Mchuzi juice.  Flies came as an added protein bonus :P  One of the helpers had on a Royco kanga, which delighted me to no end...hakuna matata...I have pictures!

The kids in Class 5 & 6 recited poems, sang songs & chanted to us as a thank you...& at the very end the said "Welcome to our school!"  Thought you'd love that one ;)

Yes, I was mobbed by the kids everywhere I went, I shook the hands of all 387 children...some more than once, took a gazillion pics "Take my peechure! Take my peechure!" & almost didn't make it out of there... my idea of great fun! 

This morning I also got to spend some more time with Beryl tying her shoes, wiping her nose, helping her get her porridge & reading stories in her classroom. I've given up on trying not to fall in love...

Hard day...but great in so many other ways.  Hate feeling like I've been here forever & yet it seems like it can't be time to go already;  I'm always melancholy at the end of a journey.  Realizing I need to come back to finish the teacher training that I've just begun...feeling torn in a few really different directions...trying to figure out where "home" is...praying for discernment...

3 comments:

  1. That's soo cool you got to feed kids. They have more kids in there school than in ours and only having 250 plates hopefully they all don't have lunch together.

    love

    Callie G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you want to take all 387 children home with you. That must be heartbreaking. How wonderful that you are to help. Have a safe journey home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following your blog for your recent Kenya trip! Thanks for keeping everyone updated.

    I am working to assist the Meekers on the US side of things. Have you seen the Meeker's CSC Ministries blog?

    It is at www.cscmkenya.org

    ReplyDelete