Saturday, October 10, 2009

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity, Jig

Safaricom IIImage by rogiro via Flickr

Yes, I'm back home safely.  Reflecting on the journey...wishing I were still there even though it's good to be "home"...planning on returning in July.  See my post on the Team 3 blog ;)  I'll be working on posting pics & video soon...I've got about 2,300 to sift through!  

Random Kenya Stuff
1)   The DUST is embedded everywhere!
2)   Small ants crawling on  the bathroom sinks
3)   Moly's amazing ability to use Mchuzi spice in every meal ;)
4)   How much at home I feel there
5)   Carry water with you at all times
6)   Carry TP with you at all times
7)   Be like a Boy Scout: Be Prepared!
8)   Purell is your best friend ;)
9)   Coke Kiosk's are everywhere!
10)  Lovin' the Nakumat- auto parts to machetes ;)
11)  Tucking yourself into bed involves a mosquito net
12)  Kawangare is the more "developed" slum-crazy thinking, but true!
13)  Buying livestock & taking it home in the van is a true Kenyan experience
14)  Getting really good at bartering
15)  Kenya time has it's own reality-nothing ever takes "just a moment"
16)  "In the rural" = anything outside the city
17)  "up country" = "up north"


18)  Kenyans are thrilled when you just know a small amout of Kiswahili
19)  Luos think you can speak their language if you know just the basic greeting
20)  I ate stuff that makes most people want to retch & I never got sick
21)  Omena, porridge, and goat are really tasty (see # 20)
22)  You can communicate with a Coke & a smile
23)  My pasty skin produces laughter & fascination everywhere I go-yeah, I'm dayglo
24)  Way Kenyan stuff makes me smile
25)  Everything is either painted Coke red or Safaricom green ;)

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. nerd times ten...that's what you are! and a crazy witness for the Lord :)

    ReplyDelete